How I met Rose

Sometime in the spring of 1993, while I watched Jerry Springer and weighed out ounces of marijuana, I received a collect call from "my brother" Que. Que was soon to be released from the Ingham County Jail and he called to make sure I was going to pick him up. Que also mentioned his Mexican celly, Carlos.

Que said Carlos was an aspiring rapper. This was in the early 90's, before EVERYONE was a rapper, so it was surprising to meet another vato who could actually rap. I told Que to put him on the phone so I could hear his flo. Carlos got on and spit.

I was impressed. I told Carlos to page me when he got out and asked him if he needed anything. He wanted me to make a 3-way call to his girlfriend for him. I did and set the phone on the couch so they could talk privately.

Eventually, I heard the receiver making that squawking sound, indicating it was off the hook. As soon as I hung the phone up, it rang. It was Carlos' girlfriend. The girl must have star 69'd me. She asked if I wanted to come pick her up. I told her no and hung up. She called back immediately and asked why I didn't want to talk to her. I told her not to call again and slammed the phone down.

"Who the fuck was that?" My son's mother hollered from the kitchen.

"Some dumb bitch playin' on the phone. She's tryin' ta jump on this dick." I replied.

"You better tell your hoes to quit callin' before they get fucked up!" She snapped back.

Weeks later, while dropping Bill Brown off at his girlfriend's house, I met Bill's girlfriend Carla and her best friend, Rose. Rose suggested I stay and hang out with them. I did.

That night, when Rose and I snuck off to smoke weed together, she told me about a pimp from Flint, who was trying to "turn her out." She said he had gotten her drunk and raped her. Rose asked me if I would "fuck him up." If I did, Rose said she would take his money and give it to me. I agreed to do it.


Rose and I spent that night having sex while plotting our assault. Rose said she would take him to a hotel, get him drunk and fuck him until he passed out. I told her to page me with the room number when he was asleep then be ready to open the door. Three days after we carried out our plan.

I had never done ANYTHING like that before. The adrenaline, the violence, the sex we had afterwards was transforming to my young teenage mind. At that time, I was just a college drop out... a struggling rapper who was selling marijuana to pay for studio time. Being a stick-up kid never crossed my mind. Rose turned ME out.

Reveling in the success of our caper, Rose suggested we rob a local drug dealer she was fucking. Robbing him led to us robbing another drug dealer she knew, which led to us prowling the Capital City streets, hunting drug dealers. We'd stay awake for days, zooted on cocaine & acid, camped out in my car listening to west coast gangsta rap stalking them. Under that kind of monstrous influence, what did I care. These guys were dope boys... self-proclaimed gangsters. I saw nothing wrong with robbing THEM. It's part of The Game.

Lansing is not a big city and bad news traveled fast. I soon found out, that while it may have been a new endeavor for me, setting up drug dealers was nothing new to Rose. After confronting her with what I had been hearing on the streets, Rose finally revealed that prior to her boyfriend being locked up, robbing people was what THEY did together.

---------------------------------

When Carlos got out of jail, he paged me and I stopped by his sister's house to get him high. As we sat on his couch smoking blunts and drinking 40's of malt liquor, Carlos talked to his girlfriend on the phone about rival thugs who claimed they were going to kill him. I caught bits and pieces of his conversation under the "Menace to Society" soundtrack we had bumpin' on an old double cassette stereo.

My pager buzzed. I lifted it and pressed the button to display who was paging. The tiny digital display cut through the dark smoke filled living room. I pressed a couple of more times to scroll though my previous calls. Carlos erupted and barked into the phone, "Bitch, you paged my dawg!" His girfriend, was Rose.

----------------------------------



I'm telling you how Rose and I met, not to drag her name through the mud but to let you in on an open secrete that's well-known by our inner-circle of friends... and enemies: All of us used to be fuckin' nuts. We were young, wild & reckless... and always high on a shitload of drugs. Therefore, if you're going to pass judgement, you should at least know the truth about who you're judging and not base your opinion on some cookie cutter assumption. Rose wasn't my girlfriend. Rose was down for the crew... and she was a motherfuckin' ryder. All these fake people who act like they were her friends, used to dog her. She'd go on rants about how she felt about you. I accepted Rose for who she was. I let her do her. That's why she loved me. And I'll always have love for her. So before you got to clickin' on your keyboard about an idea of our lives that only exists in your imagination... know this: Back then, when she was high and didn't give a fuck, any of you super tough talkin' bitches could have been her next victim. 

LANSING POLICE DEPARTMENT REPORT pages 24-25



STATE POLICE INTERVIEW OF BILL BROWN 12/24/1995 pages 44-47 









PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION OF BILL BROWN 9/18/1996  pages 84-85 




STATE POLICE INTERVIEW OF DERRICK BROWN 1/20/1996 pages 37-38 



STATE POLICE INTERVIEW OF RUSSEL BROWN JR. 1/24/1996 page 2


LANSING POLICE DEPARTMENT REPORT page 13 


MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE REPORT